Support from City of Newark for Trauma Survivors
University Hospital’s Trauma Recovery Center
At University Hospital (UH), we’re dedicated to helping those affected by trauma. The City of Newark recently awarded University Hospital Foundation $300,000 to support University Hospital’s Trauma Recovery Center (TRC). The TRC supports survivors of violence after receiving medical treatment at University Hospital through advocacy, mental health counseling, and assistance during acute traumatic crises.
TRC’s services include:
- Wrap-around Healthcare: Our dedicated team of psychiatrists, psychologists, and licensed social workers provide trauma-informed mental health services. This includes therapy, medication management, and support groups, all tailored to the unique needs of trauma survivors.
- Community Partnerships: We partner with organizations and initiatives for education and training services, addressing systemic issues contributing to trauma.
- Legal Assistance: Our services extend to legal support, assisting with restraining orders, navigating the justice system, and connecting individuals to housing and financial resources.
- Education and Training: We provide training for professionals, including law enforcement, medical providers, and social service providers, to promote trauma-informed care.
- Research and Evaluation: We’re committed to understanding the effects of trauma and identifying effective interventions and strategies to address it.
With the generous support of the City of Newark, the State of New Jersey, and the dedication of our team, we are poised to make a significant impact on the lives of those who have experienced trauma. Together, we can create a more compassionate, informed, and resilient community where survivors find the help and healing they need and deserve.